London’s population is predicted to hit 10 million by 2031, with increased migration to the capital due to the long term employment opportunities. On the plus side, when employing new staff you will have a wider spectrum of candidates to choose from. But how do you build the most effective team for your business?
London has seen huge growth in the amount of graduates in the city looking to start their career. If you build your workforce by employing graduates your teams will initially be weighted towards youth, but will they outshine more senior teams?
In our experience, having worked with a number of teams ranging through all age groups, we have found that the more senior the team the less effective they are. Here’s why:
- Senior people are competitive and are more likely to lead, struggling to follow others’ opinions and instructions.
- Because of these personalities, the main characteristics that will balance a team, including altruism, caution and reflection, can all be absent.
- Senior people have experience that can make them suspicious of other people’s motives, making them slow to trust others.
- They will also tend to focus their attention on short term gains instead of thinking of the good of the whole.
- Seniors have learnt to play certain political games on their way up and will do this instinctively.
Of course, this is not entirely one-sided. The benefits of a senior team include being able to share the same goal, understanding one another’s strengths and weaknesses and the willingness to give and receive honest feedback.
But, we can all learn a lot from junior teams and the way that they work together and this is healthy to have in the workplace.
For any more information about Team Building in London, get in touch with us today.